Wednesday, August 10, 2011

USA Triathlon Age Group Nationals...

Monday morning I was greeted with a message from USA Triathlon informing me that on the strength of my recent performances that I had qualified for age group nationals next Saturday in Burlington. A multitude of different thoughts and options went through my head which eventually led me to make my decision. Here is a sampling of my thought process.

We were supposed to go to the beach next weekend with Mary's brother John from Florida. I am upset the apple cart if I decided to race. (Mary's Dad put that idea to rest and suggested that I race.)

Hmmm... A race under short notice. (No time to over think.)

Hmmm... Maybe I shouldn't do two road races this week. (See ya next year Cigna.)

Hmmm... I'd really like another crack at the Olympic distance following the Mooseman debacle.

Hmmm... I'll need to find a place to stay. (Anchorage Inn South Burlington.)

Hmmm... 1500-meter swim. (Lots of time in the water this week!)

Needless to say I decided to pull the trigger and committed to racing. I mostly made this decision because a high finish would be the easiest path to getting my blue elite license for next year. I'm getting pretty excited now that I have registered but I am a little leery of the idea of the Pumpkinman now. I was planning on having a twenty hours of work next week but with the big time race I will keep things pretty chill. Also I will need to recover for a few days following a two hour effort so I will have another moderate week following the race. I will have to see how I am feeling after the race and perhaps rethink my half ironman debut.

Cheers,

Mark


3 comments:

  1. Awesome dude! Congrats and best of luck! One better place for me at Cigna tomorrow maybe ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really on the fence about Cigna. But when I thought about it getting won is 14:53 last year I am guessing that it is going to be a loaded field this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you didn't miss anything...the field was loaded, I ran like crap, Freeman tore it up, bunch of east-Africans cashed in... yadda yadda. Good luck in Burlington!

    ReplyDelete